1st week flowering trim fan leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nerostar24, May 18, 2011.

1. I'm concerned my girls are not getting enough light at the stalk where begining to flower. First, I know it's stretched and the stalk is weak, I have a fan blowing to hopefully correct that in time so the stalk can support the weight of the buds. But my concern is the fan leaves on top, could/should I trim them to allow for light at the stalk? Also can I transplant into a larger pot after I start flowering, or is a 1 gallon pot big enough? Two plants flowering under 2700k x 4 x 46w bulbs

original thread
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/807526-soil-water-fluorescent=.html

Attached Files:

2. Yes, it's perfectly fine to clip a few leaves in early flowering when they're shading growing shoots. I don't trim more than one leaf per stalk every two days at least and it doesn't negatively affect flowering.

Like trimming, transplanting should usually be avoided during flowering. You'll have to, however. Just be very gentle and transplant in dim light so as little light as possible gets to the roots. Unless it's a long flowering strain, three gallons should be fine.

3. Get some bamboo stakes for her.

4. thx bro
    Long flowering =? Theyre not autos

5. Every strain has it's flowering time. Some go for 50 days, mine go for 90 days, the longest ones can go for 120 days. The longer they stay in the pot, the more pot they need.

mmmmm more pot

6. more pot indeed!! :smoking:
    got the seeds from a friend, says he flowers 9 weeks so when I transplant I will only have 8 weeks to wait! :ey:
    it's ok to feed while flowering also right?

7. Very ok. More food = more bud, up to as much as the plants can handle w/o too much burning. I burn the lowest leaves during flowering. It lets me know I'm pumping in all the nutrients they can handle. The plants also need light to go with the food, so plants under crappy lights can't handle as much food as ones under better lights.

8. F*ck! this shit is soooo addicting (growing not smoking lol), totally preoccupied with these ladies, spent another $100 today on stuff to better my grow

9. Ok so I transplanted all larger plants into 5 gallon buckets, even the smallest plant was becoming rootbound in those 6" pots, kinda blew my mind. Also upgraded the grow room and added more CFLs for the small plants :hello: (I havent posted pics of these plants on this thread yet). Reading a lot about LST and Fimming, though I would like to do the LST I am concerned and dont want to damage the plants, I fim'd the small plants today, excited to see what's to come from it. I will post pics tomorrow, if the world hasnt come to an end like that fool says it will, be a shame for everyone to lose their wonderful crops if that goes down!

10. grow room setups
    Flowering plants 10 days on 12/12

Attached Files:

• A-2.jpg
      A-2.jpg
      File size:
      335.1 KB
      Views:
    • A-3.jpg
      A-3.jpg
      File size:
      378.8 KB
      Views:
    • A-4.jpg
      A-4.jpg
      File size:
      383.3 KB
      Views:
    • A-1.jpg
      A-1.jpg
      File size:
      339.2 KB
      Views:
    • B-4.jpg
      B-4.jpg
      File size:
      308.5 KB
      Views:
    • B-1.jpg
      B-1.jpg
      File size:
      385.2 KB
      Views:
    • B-2.jpg
      B-2.jpg
      File size:
      418.6 KB
      Views:
    • B-3.jpg
      B-3.jpg
      File size:
      349.8 KB
      Views:
    • FLOWERING.jpg
      FLOWERING.jpg
      File size:
      313.8 KB
      Views:
    • VEGGING.jpg
      VEGGING.jpg
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
  11. bump...anyone comment?

12. Don't trim the leaves unless they are dead. Your plant will stop growing leaves if it does not need them. LST is a much better option the cutting tops off.

13. Sorry got lazy about keeping up online, but here's some pic's of last week, fim'd small plants these pics show 1 week new growth. Trimmed a few fan leaves off the big girls now the bases are flourishing (even the lowest stems have pistils). Tried LST on small plants but dropped it because the stem bases looked stressed (cracking/browning) I dont know if that's normal or not. Any feedback is welcomed.

Attached Files:

14. nice lookin girl, how tall are they?

15. man you really shouldn't trim the leaves unless they are more than 50% dead

think of them as "solar panels" that take in light and convert it to energy to help the buds grow, as well as store food and energy.

chop too many leaves and your plant will cease bud production and start stretching

16. #18 nerostar24, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
    Sorry it took so long, havent had much time to update. I'm on week 4 flowering, a little concerned they're not growing to their full potential. The one in the orange bucket is 22" tall and the one in the grey bucket is 24". Both stems had been burried to hide the stretching. Buds starting to look good, IMO. I dont know if I'm doing everything right but a little info on final feeding, flushing and shadow period would help. I also have the three other smaller girls started on 12/12 two weeks ago. Not concerned about that one being hermie anymore, full pistils showing, no signs of pollen sacs.
    pics in order of height: 24", 22", 15", 12", 11"
    All opinions welcome

Attached Files:

17. first three grey bucket
    last three orange bucket

Attached Files:

18. do you have a micro zoom 45-100zoom from radio shack?? checking the trichs always helps to know about flushing.

i mostly wanted to comment on the light schedule. if you are looking to ripen your fruit faster, allowing 14 hours of dark to 10 hours of light for the final week er two will help ripen your flowers a bit quicker/more.

the final two weeks also mind you are where you will see a lot more "filling out" within the actual flower portion. "filling out" to however deep the light can penetrate within the fuit.

think about the summer----to winter....long days, short days.

haven't heard from the this in a long time but damn. they are looking pretty good on the other side of the valley :D