First Hydroponic setup, a few questions. Open to any suggestions/advice!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by misstifa, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Okay, I've been germinating my bagseeds in a Glad container. I saw that 4 of them popped this morning, so I soaked my rockwool cubes and then popped them in there after squeezing out the excess water. I still have a few more seeds I'm hoping will pop soon in the container... I have a 6 plant setup so pretty much we're going to use the first 6 seeds to pop because I'm assuming the first ones to pop are the stronger plants? Since they're simply bagseed, I don't mind wasting a few. Although there were some Blueberry seeds mixed in there and I'm really hoping I picked one of those...

Anyway, what I want to know is how often should I water the rockwool cubes? Should I water them directly or place a bit of water in the container they're currently in? They're the one inch rockwools and I stuck 'em in a shoebox-sized plastic box with no lid on top. From what I gather, once they've popped, they don't need the humidity, only clones do at that point...

I also have acquired a few CFLs of various watts/lumens. Should I go by the watts the CFLs use, the "actual" watts for them, or the lumens they put out? How many do I need for each plant? I haven't been able to find an exact definitive guide for this. I'm planning on using the hanging shop lights that you can put two bulbs in if I can find them at Walmart or the hardware store closeby for a decent price. Not sure how much the hanging lights cost, and I'm on a budget...

The plan is to take the rockwool cubes and put them in the Hydroton in the Bubbleponics system by SH Hydroponics. I already have it set up in my closet.

I also want suggestions for when to start nutes.

Sorry if this is misplaced! I wasn't sure whether to put the thread in Indoor Marijuana Growing or Absolute Beginners because it's indoor, but I'm an absolute beginner!

2. Keep the rockwool cubes moist at all times. Depending on your setup this could mean watering once a day or every couple of days. Just don't let them dry out. If you put them in some sort of humidity dome, this will make the job of keeping them moist much easier.

If you are using CFLs, you need to go by the actual wattage.

General rule of thumb is 100W for the first plant. 50 watts for each additional plant. The more watts, the better the yield.

Good luck.

3. this is good advice. also, make sure not to use nutes too early. I never give nutes til week 3-4 and even then only at 25% and dont get to 100% until week 6.