upside down marijuana plant ???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xcaret, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I'm sending a pic of my tomatoe plant 6 weeks old thats growing out of the bottom of a bag filled with potting soil.. I bought the bag at a dollar type store for $4 ,its designed for this .. you poke the seedling through the bottom hole, then put dirt in the just hang it in sunlight.. My tom plant tried twisting upward but its own weight keeps it hanging down..I wonder what would happen if a mj plant was put in one of these ..I'm going to start a clone to give it a try come spring when I can hang it outside.
    Has anyone tried this?

Attached Files:

2. I also use these for tomatoes and peppers for indoor growing and wondered the same thing.

I think its 100% possible to grow this way; but I would be worried about getting proper lighting to this thing. I mean honestly if you did it indoor you could hang the basket and put lights on the TOP and BOTTOM (and side) of the grow so as it branches out its getting light from all angles.

3. Ever since I have seen this growing setups i have wondered the same thing...If you try it, be sure to keep us updated:rolleyes:

4. Many people have tried, and unfortunately failed, using these upside-down methods to grow cannabis... when I say fail, I only mean yield-wise. The plant will grow, and produce, but its rate of growth suffers.

Unlike tomatoes, which hang and dangle from the plant regardless of the location of the root system, marijuana tends to grow 'upwards', often even in spite of a lowered light source (note; plants that over-grow their lighting, surpass the fixture upwards towards relative darkness, even long after the intensity of the light is obviously below the buds).

Your light source would need to be on the floor if you wanted to attempt a truly upside-down plant, but even then, your buds are still going to try and climb away up, putting extra additional pressure on the branches trying to bend awkwardly upward, meaning the individual branches will have less of a support capacity. This means even with overhead lighting you are still cripping your plants ability to grow, due to the root system placement.

Look at it this way, a piece of paper rolled into a tube can support a brick, if it's in straight form. Now, think of your stalks as that tube. If you bend that tube, and the more you bend it, the tube/material will have the ability to support less, and less weight.
    This sends signals to the plant to hold off on further bud production, this is how they utilize their natural ability to prevent stalk-breakage, which would result in the death of any seeds they may be developing. Remember, our goals are a bit different than the goals of our plants, we want a yield in bud, preferably seedless, but the plants primary goal in life, is reproduction, and they will do what they can and what they need to do, in order to further their priorities.

5. What an awesome reply

"note; plants that over-grow their lighting, surpass the fixture upwards towards relative darkness, even long after the intensity of the light is obviously below the buds

Is a fantastic piece of knowledge.

+rep to your sir

Orient

6. And therefore any dirt, debris, plant material, etc. would then fall on the light. Even if you had it in a hood, you'd be cleaning it off all the time, and risking getting water on it, etc.

I can't even imagine how you would do this hydroponically. [is that a word?]

Word

7. And therefore any dirt, debris, plant material, etc. would then fall on the light. Even if you had it in a hood, you'd be cleaning it off all the time, and risking getting water on it, etc.

I can't even imagine how you would do this hydroponically. [is that a word?]

Word

8. literally every upside down plant ive seen is not really upside down y??
    cuz the plant eventually curls upwards towards the light.
    i if i really wanted to do a upsidedown plant i would have a cooltube light mounted on the bottom of the tent :D so the plant is streching to the light

u should do this dont know if it will work tho?

9. Well another factor is tomato plants are a vine and cannabis is not. Just as Bad stated it would grow but not nearly as well, because a vine can contort itself as needed as cannabis grows more in a uniformed way.

10. Well ,in answer to the person that thought I was going to do this hydroponically ( lol) I might try if you can think of a way to get trhe water to stay in the bag and not leak out..
    But I had been thinking of using potting soil.. . I'm going to do it for fun more than anything else cause my 3 plants will be way more than I'll smoke in quite a while.. I might start one in a week or so and not wait for spring .,I can stand florescents up on 3 sides of the plant .. ( no water dripping down to worry about) . I think I'll start a clone tonight ,By the time it gets established in a month or so It will be ready for my upside down trial... I could suport the weight of the buds by string ,just like training the plants to not to grow upward.. ..I'll send a photo when its in the bag hanging the bottom...
    I also started a cucumber thats not quite ready to stick in the bag ,it needs more growth ..

11. Damn you gravity, damn youuuuu!

12. Man, I just spent the last 20 min looking for a picture of my single plant from last summer, planted in a topsy turvy. Sorry I couldn't find it.

A little Sweet Tooth clone took well, and it indeed tried to grow upward but met resistance with the balance of the pot. It did not try to extend out beyond the boundaries, it just stayed a small little plant in a ball underneath the planter. It grew just fine, even though it got very little direct light.

As it was outside, it didn't veg and bloomed earlier than all my other (indoor) plants. It flowered great, I processed the plant and it yielded one and a half grams...and I heard it was excellent (I don't smoke).

Let's say you decided to provide for 18/6 light to veg for a while -- my guess is you'd do fine, yes...but nowhere near the yield of a "bottoms down" grow.

13. maybe if you put the lights underneath it