Dr. Earth organic potting soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mugzy3, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Has anyone ever used Dr. Earth organic potting soil? If so please let me know the ups and down of it please. I did grab per-lite to mix with it

Attached Files:

2. I am and I love this stuff. It is great and you don't need to add anything to it, maybe just a little of the dr earth Bud and Bloom when you go to flower. I have 5 White russians that look like small bushes about a foot and a half each. And it took under three weeks. Literally look like small round, tight, mounds of green. I don't know if that it typical with these genetics, but they are beyond healthy and I am glad the guy at the store turned me over to it cause I was at a loss about what to use as a soil. deff wanted to go organic and I HATE miracal grow!!!!!! Stuff is junk!!! I had better luck using bags of 99 Cent soil from wellfare mart (Wallmart) then using miracal grow. My first grow, that was female, was done with no nutrients, in the worst, cheepest looking soil ever in nothing but a five gallon pot. Granted I didn't get much of a yeild. And it was grown inside/outside. But shit 1 ounce for nothing worked out for me. Infact I didn't plant that seed, someone else did and I just left it to grow.

Anyways, enough with the tangent... Yeah, that soil is good stuff, you will like it, just check it daily for water, this stuff airs out fast. I also have mine in fabric bags, but when they were in plastic, I had to water daily.

3. Thanks man. The guy at the shop said add some perlite since it is so thick

4. I haven't heard of this stuff...but I'm really glad that someone else hates Miracle Gro as much as I do. It's complete crap for weed. I mean, it works well for the plants you just want to look at, but when you're trying to grow something that you want to smoke, you need something organic - ideally.

I don't always go organic, but I'm trying to get back to that sort of growing style. Iguana Juice works well - from Advanced Nutrients - as well as their Bud Candy. Just something else to check out.

Good luck with your nutes - just make sure as a beginner that you're not giving all of your confidence into just one posting from some anonymous grower....that other dude on the board sounds like they're trying to sell you something - as opposed to trying to give you advice.

5. i hear ya i already bought it just waiting for my seeds to sprout i am gone put the seeds in dirt from outside until about a week or 2

6. Soil seems to be working fine for me now im one week into veg on my lowryder x ak47 from attitudeseeds and i got a bag seed from my buddies blueberry kush... i think im gone add a some perlite to the mix when i transplant but so far so good!

7. #8 ProMotavation, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    Perlite sounds like a good idea. Seems like it wouldn't hurt since it retains water well, yet is less dense providing more aeration= more microbial activity = quicker response to nute demands in organic soils. I haven't tried this yet, I'll give that a try in a couple of the pots next time. I like to do a couple small experiments with a few pots in my normal regime to test out the results.

Dr. Earth has been the potting soil and fert I have been using for the last two indoor grows. I started with just the potting soil, tomato/veg fert (for vegging), and the bud/bloom booster (for the flowering cycle). I found I needed to use a little more fert than recommended on the box for my indoor ladies. THey grew up real healthy and disease free, with a pretty chunky yeild.

For my second grow, I added some starter fert with lower NPK content and some seaweed extract to the potting soil for an initial jumpstart into veg. I then alternated weeks applying the starter fert with a liquid solution until ~week 4. THen I switched from starter to tomato/veg fert and continued alternating each week with liquid solution+seaweed extract until ~week 9 or the beginning of flowering (depending on what strain you have). Then, switched from tomato/veg to bud/bloom booster and kept the alternation going until a week and a half before harvest. Then just watered to keep the soil slightly moist until couple days before harvest. Even with CFL's, they stayed green, high yielding (for CFL) and buds were dense and dankalicious.

Whoa there, didn't mean to write that much, coffee makes the brain crack out a bit, haha. If interested in dosages, let me know. I was given guidance from a shop in NorCal on how much to apply. My current grow is looking plush:yummy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. So im hopin to have some pics up here in the next few days just been lazy and not really too much to see since they are only 15days today....and i transplanted the ak47 auto like 4-5 days ago and it seems very healthy bottom 2 leaves turn a lil purple due to the fluctuation in temp at night. mixed about 25% perlite to Dr earth.and the blueberry kush is a lil nute burn up due to my inexperience and retardation. cause I fed it Fox Farm "grow big" full strength instead of like 1/4 strength haha. its my bag seed so im testing shit on that 1st. and i fed the Ak47 auto Fox farm "Big Bloom" full strength and it seemed to handle it quite well surprisingly. im gone hit the AK47 auto next time with the "grow big" but prolly less then 1/4 to be on the safe side! any other suggestion are welcome.....I have the FF trio -Growbig -big bloom and -tiger bloom...and im thinking about molasses when they flower but im gone read up more on that!

9. #10 ProMotavation, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    Right on, are you using the DrE potting soil or planting mix? I know the planting mix might need perlite, but the potting soil already has perlite in it. Sounds like you knew what you were doing, but made a booboo feeding full strength "grow big" fertilizer at a young stage. I haven't used fox farm, but it seems like the lighter "big bloom" would be a better choice to start with until plants are well established into veg, which it sounds like this is what you did with the AK. Then switch to the grow big until flowering, then to Tiger bloom. since you bought dr. earth for your next grow, begin with the "starter" fert, then move to the tomato/veg fert, and finally the bud/bloom booster for flowering with small apps every other week. This regime along with seaweed extract worked in on the fert off weeks will take real good care of your plants as they do mine. Heads up though, I just saw a newer more souped up looking potting soil at the nursery in a black bag. Has peat moss, fir bark fines, humus, perlite, worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, live microbes, mycorrhizae, seaweed extract, aloe vera and yucca extract. I just bought it and am going to give it a whirl for my next ladies. I just sent them an email though, not sure if I should use it 100% during the first 1-2 weeks (might be too concentrated) or as a mix, or use it as the soil to transplanted into.

10. ProMotavation, I would like to know more about Dr. earth line of nutrients. I love the soil, and so far don't need to add anything while the plants are in veg, in fact I think they added enough bat guano to the mix cause the leaves are so dark green as is, with nothing else added.

Now, I have the Dr. e Seaweed, Bat guano, and Dr. earth Bud and bloom booster. I also have some blackstrap molassas That I just got today from the organic section at Hanniford. I figure with the growth rate being so fast with nothing but the soil, that I don't really care to add anything while the plants are in veg, but I would like to know how to use the bud and bloom boaster, cause you mentioned that you need more then what the directions call for and I only applied at the reconmended rate for a 6" pot which is 1 tbl. I also use the fabric containers which means I need to water daily cause the plants are dry within 24 hours. I really like how, with this soil, when I water, I can see / hear the air bubbles. It really is a great brand esp when it only cost $12 for a 1.5 cubic meter bag. Its cheaper than MG crap soil and I can grab it at the local store down the street from my house.

11. This is the second time using Dr. Earth planting soil. Both times i transplanted clones into Dr. Earth soil, both times had big problems with nute burn (brown spots on older fan leaves -later turning leaf yellow, and resulting in leaf death. I haven't fed the clones since i got them over a 45 days ago and the symptoms show signs of wearing off. i cant keep them in Veg much longer but i don't want them to start flowering with nutrient problems. The "high country chicken manure" and aged bat guano add up to way to much of something, nitrogen maybe? So i will just continue to panic and flush, i hope these methods work.

12. i tried miracle grow once trying to save money. i won't even use that stuff to throw dirt in someones eye. i am a firm believer in fox farm. not sure about dr earth. just remember that for the most part you get what you pay for.

13. Dr Earth Organic potting soil (orange bag) is all organic and u pay around 15-16$ a bag well worth the money... i cannot say how any other bag worrks out besides that one....

14. it is the most expensive soil i could find. i transplanted them into Dr Earth both bad reactions both time. I have never used any nutes and still after 60 days and flushing every opportunity my older fan leaves turn from small brown spots to yellow dead leaves. should i just flush and keep flushing?

15. what bag were u using and what strains are u going?

16. i'm using the orange bag of Dr. Earth. Im medicinally growing sour diesel and island sweet skunk, both are new strains to me. i read ISS has yellowing tendencies. Its my first time with both strains. maybe i should have flush the soil well before transplanting into it (in hindsight).

17. #19 Munfy, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    DR. EARTH LSP 258 KIT

INDOOR ORGANIC GARDEN

POTTING SOILS & NUTRIENTS FOR
    MAXIUM POTENCY, WEIGHT,

AND YIELD

PURPOSE

: A proven success kit for 6 INDOOR 5-GALLON PLANTS for gardeners demanding the highest grade finished product with maximum yield as the main objective.

DESIGN

: Easy to follow schedule takes all the guesswork out of what to do and when to do it. The LSP 258 kit has been proven to grow the healthiest plants with maximum weight gain, thick/tight buds, and sticky/oily flowers. Follow the week by week schedule for maximum results. No guesswork. No burning. Only maximum yields! Set your lights and harvest by your desired date.

CHECKLIST:

6 EMPTY 5-GALLON POTTING CONTAINERS

 Two bags of Dr. Earth® 1.5 Cu. Ft. Home Grown® potting soil or Pot of Gold® potting soil.

 One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth® Organic 2™Starter Fertilizer 2-4-2 (the start)

 One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth® Organic 5™Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer 5-7-3 (the middle)

 One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth® Organic 8™Bud & Bloom Booster 4-10-7 (the finish)

 One pint of Dr. Earth® Liquid Solution™All Purpose Fertilizer 3-3-3 (the maintenance)

 One pint of Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate 0-0-4.5 (the micro-maintenance)

 One pint of Dr. Earth® ProActive™Fruit & Vegetable Ready-to-use Insect Spray (the kill)

DIRECTIONS TO GET STARTED:

Using the contents of the 2 bags of potting soil, fill all 6 containers until soil level is within 1 inch from the top of each container. Blend ¼ cup of Dr. Earth® Organic 2™Starter Fertilizer into the top 4 inches of the potting soil. Dig a small hole to transplant your cutting. The hole should be slightly larger than the size of your transplant. Make sure that you do not bury the transplant too deeply. The soil level of the transplant should be slightly higher than the soil level in the 5-gallon

container to avoid "damping off" and other fungal diseases. Water the container well. Wait 5 minutes. Then start your feeding schedule as prescribed below. Turn on your lights and get growing. Follow the light manufacturer’s suggestions very carefully to send your plants into a strong vegetative cycle that will maximize "green growth." Many options are available. Any length of time between 18 to 24 hours is effective. Consult with your light manufacturer for best results.

Water again, using Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate diluted in 1 gallon of water, at a ratio of 2 tablespoons per gallon. Water all plants equally with the 1 gallon of seaweed solution water; apply equal amounts per plant until the 1 gallon of solution has been completely used.

NOTE:

Insect spray should only be used directly on the soil, if you see fungus gnats or other insects. Do not spray the plants leaves, as this could cause burning under strong lights.

FEEDING SCHEDULE:

Week 1

: Day 1- Thoroughly blend Dr. Earth® Organic 2™starter fertilizer into the top 4 inches of soil in the containers, at the rate of ¼ cup per each 5-gallon container. Water it in with a solution of Dr.Earth® Seaweed Concentrate. (See instructions above.)

Week 2:

Mix Dr. Earth® Liquid Solution™at a rate of 4 tablespoons per gallon of water. Apply 2 ½ cups of solution per 5-gallon plant.

Week 3:

Mix ¼ cup of Dr Earth® Organic 2™Starter Fertilizer into the top 2 inches of soil in each 5-gallon container. Scratch in completely, but be careful not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 4:

Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Liquid solution® and 2 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2 ½ cups of solution per plant. After feeding, water lightly with pure water, to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 5:

Mix Dr. Earth® Organic 5™Vegetable Fertilizer at a rate of ¼ cup per five-gallon container mixed thoroughly into the top 2 inches of soil trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 6:

Mix both Dr. Earth® Liquid Solution® and Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate. Mix 4 tablespoons of Liquid Solution and 2 tablespoons of Seaweed Concentrate in 1 gallon of water. Apply 2 ½ cups of solution per plant. After you feed, water lightly with pure water to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 7:

Thoroughly mix Dr. Earth® Organic 5™Vegetable Fertilizer into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of ¼ cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 8:

Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Liquid solution® and 3 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2 ½ cups of solution per plant. After feeding, water lightly with pure water, to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 9:

Thoroughly mix Dr. Earth® Organic 8™Bud & Bloom Booster into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of ¼ cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 10:

Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Liquid solution® and 3 tablespoons of Dr. Earth® Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2 ½ cups of solution per plant. After you feed, water lightly with pure water to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 11:

Mix Dr. Earth® Organic 8™Bud & Bloom Booster thoroughly into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of ¼ cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water well.

Week 12 UNTIL HARVEST:

Use pure water only to flush all of the nutrients from the soil. It is important to understand that hundreds of different of varieties of plants are available to grow and harvest. Most plants have different maturity dates, for this reason we recommend 11 weeks of feeding at the minimum, if the variety of plant you choose to grow requires a long flowering period, then you may keep feeding with Dr. Earth Liquid Solution at a rate 2 tablespoons mixed into 1 gallon of water then applied at a rate of 2 ½ cups of solution per plant until 2 weeks before harvest. Flushing the nutrients from the soil 2 weeks prior to harvest will help to maximize your plants’ potency.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

FOR MAXIUM RESULTS, START EACH NEW CROP BY DISCARDING THE USED SOIL AND REFILLING POTS WITH FRESH DR. EARTH® POTTING SOILS AS CALLED FOR ABOVE.

 APPLY MINIUMUM AMOUNTS OF WATER, ONLY ENOUPH TO KEEP THE SOIL MOIST AND ALLOWING IT TO DRY BETWEEN WATERING.

 NO TWO PLANTS ARE ALIKE; THE ACTUAL DAY OF HARVEST CAN VARY BETWEEN 14 TO 20 WEEKS FROM THE TIME A CUTTING WAS TRANSPALANTED INTO THE SOIL. DIFFERENT VARIETYS MATURE AT DIFFERENT RATES.

 IN MOST CASES, 16 WEEKS IS AN AVERAGE TIME FRAME TO GROW HEALTHY AND MATURE PLANTS.

 KNOW THE VARIETY YOU ARE GROWING AND LOOK FOR SIGNS OF MATURITY.

 ALWAYS LET THE SOIL DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU HARVEST!

Best of health to you,

Milo Shammas

• Informative Informative x 1

18. Can you help me? I'm also using dr earths potting soil and I'm finding it hard growing my bag seed plants.. They with grow through the soil and produce a couple leaves but then will so growing height wise and leave wise? Can you take me through all of your steps ? I have two female seeds germinating right now and need to get it figured out so I don't waste them