Autoflowering Strains vs "Normal" Strains

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nlogzen, Apr 2, 2010.

1. #1 nlogzen, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    Hey everybody! I'm starting my first indoor grow, and I have a few questions about differences between autoflowering strains and normal strains...

So I basically have 3-3.5 months to complete my grow and harvest. To avoid cutting it close, I decided to purchase seeds of the autoflowering variety that are "guaranteed" to be ready for harvest within 70-90 days after germination.

I know that by forcing plants to flower, most indoor ops can also typically finish in around 4 months or so. In addition, I've read in some topics that autoflowering strains typically aren't as potent/enjoyable as "normal" ones.

My question: is it a better idea (taking into account quality of bud) to have an autoflowering strain that I _know_ will be ripe within the time I have, or to grow a normal strain, force it to flower after 4 weeks vegging, and _hope_ that it'll be ready within the time I have (8 weeks flowering)?

At this point I'm simply curious as I will most likely be doing grows constrained by a similar timeframe in the future. Thanks for reading!

2. 4.5 months is plenty to grow a regular strain. If you veg for a month and flower for 2 months, that leaves plenty of time.

3. yep just as long as your going to buy regular strain fem seed's it is...with regular seed's you will have to weed out males etc..autoflower's are ok, the more the better, 60 day wonder from DNA is one new auto that is crossed with the awesome strain william's wonder...pretty affordable, i think a 5 pack is around 50$...you should get some bud's out of a 5 pack of auto's and most auto's will finish from seed in 90 day's...60 day wonder is just that, 60 day's...
    i'd staty away from lowryder crosses as the seed's germ only about half the time...
    DNA has really good breeding , that's were my money would go if i only had 4 months to grow...with 60 day wonder you can get two harvest before then...
    something to think about...
    auto's are not as powerfull as regular strain's but they keep getting better...some in the 15% thc range...depend's on wich strain of auto your growing....

good luck..

4. #4 nlogzen, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the fast responses. This is good to know for the future.

Upon examining the dates, I realize that 4.5 months is extremely idealistic. I will probably have closer to 3 months to 3.5 months. Sorry about that. (edited the first post accordingly)

I posted this same topic in another forum (grasscity) and some people are asking about the strain/setup. For those interested:

I ordered feminized Easy Ryder seeds.

Setup
    I'm using a 400w HPS + 400w MH. I'll be growing in a small basement room. I've already made a soil mix (using some recipes I found online as a basis) and I'll definitely be watering w/ nutes after 3-4 weeks (probably using the famous Fox Farms trio). Lastly, I have a CO2 tank + regulator/emitter I'll be using to help the plants along.

5. sound's good, good luck with the easy ryder mine was a dud and they have about a 50-60% germ rate...
    i wanted to try it because of the AK cross but it germed then fell over, kinda retarded little sprout, but every other seed i germ does great...it's in there genetic's...still new to the game as a seed breeder..

6. Oh man custom! I feel you... I will be very sad if even a single seed doesn't germinate. They were expensive!

I realized I also suck at arithmetic at night. May 20 to August 20 is roughly the time I have, give or take 1-2 weeks. That's about 3 - 3.5 months.

Methinks to just stick with AFs unless I can squeeze in another whole month.

7. ya i agree with only that frame auto's are your best bet...i hope they germ good for ya...i have seen a few nice ones grown around GC..