4.5 weeks into flowering...should I prune lower branches?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tecnikano, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I am 4.5 weeks into flowering. Since the stretch at the beginning of flowering my plants have gotten very tall and I am thinking that the bottom branches are a waste of energy and not even getting the light they would need to be worth keeping there. Would it stress my plants if i was to remove some of the bottom branching with TINY buds that are much lighter green due to their lack of light?

thanks in advance

2. yes you can prune some of the smaller buds that you know wont amount to anything. doing so will distribute that energy to other parts of your plant. just dont do any drastic pruning you dont want to stress your girls out to much. try doing a little each day instead of doing it all at once. gl

3. It seems to me that it is an on-going process of slowly pruning all lower growth, 6 to 10 inches. The stems get happy when they have an occelating (sorry) fan blowing on them. I don't do this all at once, everyday just a little bit. As most growers know, not much comes off the small branches at the bottom. This airflow that is created allows more CO2 to arrive at the scene. Looking at my happy garden (sorry, no pics) I see and feel air swirling around and making things grow! Thanks for all the tips. Experiement, try different things, remember, there is science and also art in this growing experience.

4. After you grow the same strain a few times you can dial in the undergrowth trimming much better and get 80% of it done before you even flip.