Novice building my first grow box

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mooncricket, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Hello Everyone,
    This seems like a pretty cool site for advice so I hope I get some good feedback. I want to build a grow box and the dimensions that will work with the space that I have are 2'x2'x3'. I could go to about 3.5' in height if I have to but it would fit really tight in the spot I have. I was thinking I could fit 4 plants in this space. My biggest question is the lighting. I read that a garden should be lit between 1000 and 3000 lumens so I was thinking a 150 hps would work just fine but I read that a 150 hps should be hung at least 2 feet from the plants. That wouldn't fit in my 3' high grow box because I could only grow my plants to a max of 1' tall. I was also wondering if a 150 hps would be to hot for that space anyway and cause a fire. I don't know. I am lost and the only thing stopping me from making my box is the lighting issue. I would really appreciate some feedback.

2. Take into consideration how much actually vertical space you'll have with the additions of say 10in tall pots, the space your light will occupy, along with the distance you'll have to keep the light from the plants. I'm sure even the 150w hps will turn that box into an oven. What do you have in mind for ventilation and FAE?

3. I have 4 fans from a wine refrigerator. They are just like computer fans. I was going to use 3 in the top as an exaust and make four holds along the bottom for intake. Once I decided what type of light to use, I was going to run everything with the door closed and check the temperature to see if I needed to use the fourth fan. I have an Ionic breeze which stays in the room and will control the odor. I also noticed that I can make my box 4' high so I plan on doing that instead of 3' high.

4. 4 plants will be snug in there, but it can be done. You'll need more light than 150w HPS for 4 plants though, at least a 250w and maybe 400w. Of course, that just adds to the heat issue so that also must be dealt with.

And do build out that extra height if you can.

5. may i suggest CFLs?

6. What kind of CFLs?