Tap Root Placement ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thee.mad.hatter, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Ok . . . So I watched an older grow video and it made more sense than just sticking a tap root's tip in the soil . . Though I wanted an opinion . . .

The video I watched said to place the tap root UP rather than downward . . . It is intended to force the tap root to head up then immediately down and the seed then pushes itself up from the soil surface .

Yet I noticed the paper towel method is a more successful method ..

I am trying the CUP of WATER method as we speak and in the first HOUR the seedlings went from floating almost above water-surface to barely hanging on to floating . They all now look like there might be a TINY air bubble in the seed somewhere or maybe it's the actual seedling inside that is germinating or will germinate hopefully ..

The reason for asking is that I am messing with seedbank seeds . . .

Any ideas fellas ?

2. i use the cup of water too. actually shot glass and cover with a mug, but whatever. Ya, now that your seeds have been in the water for a while try to sink the( some will some won't) and as soon as they crack and can see the tap root you can put them in soil.

as for which way to point the tap root.....I plant my seed pefrectly Sideways..they will figure out which way is which.

3. Dude.. Bro .. Long time no see and yeah .. Thanks for coming to the advice rescue ... Hehe .. I think you and doc and maybe even AW will appreciate my next grow ... but this is painstakingly excruciating as the germination is the hard part ... Only thing I'm mad about is they sent me some SMALL seeds even though they're green or dark .. No white seeds though . Even I can tell the germ rate will be maybe 7 or 8 out of 10 and even so the UFO seeds look better than these low ryder seeds... Ughh . Made me sick .. So I'm trying to have faith .. I just hope I get 1 or 2 males and the rest are females ...

And yes the sideways idea isn't to bad.. I was thinking of planting the tail at a slant angle so either way it is all good .. I just pray these 10 seeds produce something ...

I think I am going to do a mix though ...

I do have another question ...

A jiffy pellet of peat moss with a net around it for when it is rehydrated . I need to know if soaking it in warm water with a few drops of super thrive thoroughly mixed in is a good idea or not .. Or if there is any experienced growers who can suggest something ...

My plan is the lst the plants down the side of my miniature bubbler tanks using fishing weights and because a 3 inch net basket won't hold too stable imho if I decide to move my grow chamber I created ..

So would using the super thrive or some thrive alive from techna flora be better ? I was considering root 66 magnical and thrive alive , a drop or two of each in a liter of warm tap water then dropping in the jiffy pellets to rehydrate ...

I just don't wanna give any HUGE nutes to the babies once they pop ..

Ideas Mr.Tangent ?

4. let your pellets sit out over night befroe using em after they have expanded.....they love to hold too much moisture and can cause your sprouts to dampen off...

I am trying new ones, that use coco coir instead of peat..and they seem to be working much better ..FYI

and forget ST and all that other nute shit..just use good ole water..don't kill your plants with kindness !!!!

5. Alrighty then ! good idea on the pellets ... Should I not test the runoff to adjust the ph , also , along with the fact these peat moss pellets attract mold if set out over night ?

6. you can pH em when you expand em if you really want to( you will want to push em down BTW if you do ) ... but in my experience, it is not needed,really as long as your strain is pretty stable you should be fine...if it is a moody strain...well, atleast you will know it is moody up front...not at the start of 12/12...it is just how much do really want to baby your plants.. I like to get em up and running with out human interferance as soon as possible ..so I don't mind if the week get culled by my germ. medium.. too many folks trying to keep subpar genetics alive...but that is a total diffrent discussson, and not for here.

and don't worry about mold...whatever medium you use for cloning is going to stay somewhat moist for a week or two..so over night isn't much of anything if you think about it .

peace and good luck

7. I actually took warmer than room temp water @ 2 litres and mixed in 1/2 milliliter of sugar daddy and thrive alive b-1 green ( same as superthrive ) and let the sediment settle to the bottom then shook thoroughly again . Filled a coffee urn with the water and soaked up the water into the pellets ... Drained the excess from the pellets into a syringe and WOW . 6.2 to 6.4 pH levels !

I then setup the mini bubbler crater and put them in there with a low level of water so today I'm going to leave them out of the bubbler tanks as I don't want MOISTURE to kill them ..

They are low ryder strain ... So I am in desperate need to find out from other low ryder breeders what they've found the plants like when you are birthing them :)

8. Taproot placement is important because a seed only has so much energy inside it, and will not get any more until the leaves are out. If the seed has to expend all of its energy into reversing/changing the direction of the taproot in order to anchor itself to the ground so that the cotyledons can open, you might end up with dead or very weak seedlings. Seeds are best planted with the pointed end up, because the root will grow out of the tip and curl down. If you have the pointed end down, the root will still grow out and towards the opposite end, which is up, and will have to turn back around to go down. The faster that root gets into the medium, the faster the leaves can open and start providing energy for the plant.

9. That's what I learned from the video , m8 . Thus sideways or root pointed up is a great idea .. Down just encourages the root to burrow deep and possibly not push it up through the soil which explains a great deal of junk going on with my two trial runs :)

I made the mistake of pointing them down like that .. Though I have been lately starting them in peat then 1 week in peat or 1 full set of fan leaves be it 3 or more to a fan leaf set and I free it from the peat and put it in hydroton clay pellet medium ...

Thanks everyone .. I hope this thread has been helpful to other newbies also :)

any other tips folks ?

10. Just put your seed in soil, about 4 mm deep, keep it warm and moist.
    IT will do the rest fine.
    Seeds are so much more intelligent than noobs.

11. true to that word is the wisdom from good ole cantharis .. It's in their genes I would guess . I just don't want to give too much heat and light damage to the roots . But good news is ALL three popped within 4 days total .. And in 2 months I'll hopefully have some healthy healthy green to store for a rainy day and a bag of seeds too , unless I get lucky and get all females but then I figured a way around not having a male !

My MMJ CLUB Dealer has been getting extremely SEEDY weed lately ... So I figured if I kief it with a crusher and then dust a bud with that weed that whatever pollen fertilized it would hopefully fert the bud I want ... Unfortunately the genetics will be unpredictable let alone I may lose the auto flowering qualities in the breeding ... BUT at least I would have pollen if I get desperate :( and :) at the same time ..

Any experience to speak from Cantharis / Viper ?

12. You're not going to fertilize anything with ground up seeds/kief...

13. uh it's not that which I am asking , my intentions were since the weed is so fresh and still sticky ( obviously barely cured ) I was thinking the trace amounts of pollen on the buds might actually still be there and a little kief dust might to the trick :)

I wasn't asking if you could fertilize a plant with kief itself ... sorry for the confusion