Single Plant, Small Budget Grow Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BobbyHill420, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Hey all! Love the community I am new to it and have been reading a lot and learning much.

What I want to do is grow a single plant. (If I'm understand correctly) Feminized seeds will ensure me a female, but not prevent it from going herm on me.

So my questions are:
    (and I am very new so I apologize)

What wattage light should I use for a single plant?

I know I need two separate spectrums? One for vegetative and one for flowering?

I will need a timer so I can do either 24/0 or 16/8 for veg, then 12/12 for flowering.

Soil and nutrients of course. I will be sure to study those threads in detail.

Will a 5 gallon bucket be large enough for my one plant? I want to keep it small, but of course try for a decent yield. I will try and follow the low stress method of re-routing the plant.

Some kind of fan to keep the air moving.

And some air fresheners and odor neutralizers.

Sorry I know it's scattered.

Phew I feel like my brain is jam packed with new info here, I'm trying to keep up. Thanks for all the great info so far.

Please help me grow my first single plant! I will update with pics and progress!

:D:D:D

2. I'm very much of a noob too, but i've done some reading and am gonna start soon.

1. At least 100 Watts. but you can always do more if you can.

2. Mhm. Try to get Day Light CFLs for veg stage, and soft white for flowering stage. But if you can only get one spectrum, you can still be fine.

3. 5 gal is ok. You don't need as much light to get started but can add them. Try cfls at different angles so light is pentetrating as it gets bushier. You could do an autoflower and leave lights on 24 hrs. You need a temp and humidity guage. Temp should be not above 85 and humidity 60% max. Some environments just won't work without AC and a dehumidifier. You won't need to worry about odor till much later.

4. What wattage light should I use for a single plant?

at least 100w for your first plant and 30-50 for each additional (though you don't care about that, do you?)

I know I need two separate spectrums? One for vegetative and one for flowering?

You'll want daylight bulbs for veg and warm bulbs for flowering (preferably a 3:2 ratio of 6500k (daylight) to 2700k (warm) to increase yeild)

I will need a timer so I can do either 24/0 or 16/8 for veg, then 12/12 for flowering.

Yup, analog timers are cheap and work great for years

Soil and nutrients of course. I will be sure to study those threads in detail.

Save yourself some time, fox farms ocean forest is a GREAT soil, you'll never need another one. Nute lines vary however, study up on those (i use flora nova grow , flora nova bloom, b'cuzz root stimulant and liquid light)

Will a 5 gallon bucket be large enough for my one plant? I want to keep it small, but of course try for a decent yield. I will try and follow the low stress method of re-routing the plant.

5 gallon buckets are primo, make sure its not too fat and short though, roots like to grow deep. 5 gallon industry buckets with the metal handles usually work great

Some kind of fan to keep the air moving.

depending on the size of your room you'll need an intake, exhaust and circulation fan. the key is to make sure air is always moving inside your room and is constantly being exchanged for fresh air.

And some air fresheners and odor neutralizers.

you could kill two birds with one stone here and get an inline fan hooked up to an activated carbon filter, the fan would suck air out of your room, run it through some insulated ducting and out of the filter. just place the filter outisde of your room and whala, air exchange (you'll need some source of intake as well though)

well thats about all i can help you with.. good luck and happy growing!