Switched to 12/12 and now lower leaves are drooping/dying (pics)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dinobot, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ok, so this is my first grow, so forgive my noobness...

I'm growing with CFLs, 2 feminized blue cheese. I just switched to 12/12 flowering. I switched to soft white bulbs (7 26 watters). I know I should have flushed before switching to flowering, but I didn't, because I had recently watered before switching over to 12/12, and was afraid of overwatering.

Now, 48 hours after beginning 12/12, I notice the bottom leaves on one of my babies are in pretty bad shape (not so much the other one, although she exhibits some of the same symptoms). They are drooping really badly, to the point that they are just lying on the soil. They have also changed to a unhealthy looking bright green color. They look really sick.

PH is about 6.9. The last watering I gave was 4 days ago with mild nutes added (30-10-10).

Any clues? Did I really mess up with not flushing before switching to 12/12? I just watered her with plain distilled water, but see no real drastic change. Are they not getting enough light maybe?

First pic is of overall plant. The others show some of the bottom droopy leaves. Notice the color difference in Pic #3 between the bottom set and the upper leaves.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. no big concern they are not of great importance. as you go through flower you will lose leaves, this is so the plant can feed the bud. just my input, have a good one.

3. And that I expected, but I just started the 12/12 cycle. Look at the fourth pic... there are some pretty serious sets of leaves that are laying down on the soil looking totally defeated.

4. good point, are they fan leaves?

5. [n00b]Ah-hem... what's the difference between fan leaves and the other leaves? [/n00b] A small set of beginner leaves died off a while ago (with only 3 leaves per set), but I didn't think they were a big deal. These are normal sets 5 leaf sets.

Thanks for the input.

6. fan leaves stem off from the main staik where the branches stem off.

7. Just let the plant ajust itself to the new settings and it should be ok. Give it some time.
    Make sure your lights are nice and close 2 inches is ideal for cfl's

8. I appreciate the replies. After some watering with regular distilled water the bottom leaves perked up a bit. The color issue remains however, and if anything, they look more very light-green/yellowish from yesterday.

After a bit of reading, I'm suspecting I have a nitrogen deficiency, which doesn't surprise me: after reading a lot of threads on here, I'm petrified of overwatering/overnuting. The leaves are turning yellow and dying from the bottom up, which fits a nitrogen-deficiency diagnosis.

So a quick question for anyone kind enough to answer: now that I'm in flowering stage, should I give one more boost of some nitrogen heavy nutes, or should I just switch over to flowering nutes? The vegging nutes I used were 30-10-10, but I used them very, very sparingly. Thanks!

9. Does sound like N def, which it's way too early for you to start showing if you want to get this all the way through to harvest (which, of course, you do). I would switch back to veg lighting for a couple of weeks during which you give it more N. You don't want to be trying to boost N at the same time you are trying to start flowering, too much nitrogen can retard bud growth so you would have the plant fighting against itself.

10. Yikes! Won't switching back to veg stress the plants and possibly cause them to go herm? A lot of flowering ferts have a bit of N in them, would they not be enough to stop any major disaster?

Thanks!