Planning a *simple* bucket hydro system

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by L Rag, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Okay, so I was pretty baked yesterday reading a High Times article on hydro. And it inspired me.

It took me a while to figure out this basic design for a very simple hydro grow involving buckets. I didn't want to rely on timed pumps and all that shit; I really wouldn't have a clue how to install them, I'm no plumber. So here's what I came up with.

Say I'm growing 5 plants. I'd put the lights in the middle of the growroom, either from the floor, or hanging from the ceiling. I'd cover walls with light reflecting material.
    Then I'd arrange 5 stools around the lights. The stools would have the middle cut out of them, like a circle in the seat of the stool. This is where I'd attach the bucket, which would ALSO have the middle of the base cut out of it; and I'd attach a funnel to that hole in the bottom of the bucket. I'd somehow attach a valve to the funnel, so I could close it or open it easily.

Below the valve underneath each plant, I'd attach some piping that runs on an angle towards the main runoff reservoir. This is where all the nutrients would go for recycling. I'd just dump them all back into the main reservoir. It would work without a pump because of gravity; the piping would face downward. This is why I want a stool to rest the bucket on - so I have enough space to angle the piping down towards the runoff reservoir.

The plants would be dangling inside the bucket. I'd do this by having the grow medium inside a basket which is attached to the bucket, thus dangling the plants in the middle of the bucket. The roots would start to grow downwards and out of the basket/grow medium, so they'd be dangling in the air.

To feed the plants, I'd close the valve of the funnel, and dump a bucket full of nutrients into the bucket. This is where I have a couple of questions. How long should I feed them for, and how often? In the article I think it vaguely said a few minutes, and then I'd open the valve, and all the nutrients would fall into the runoff reservoir, where I'd recycle them. This leaves the roots dangling in the air, to absorb lots of oxygen for (apparently) "supercharged" growth. Sounds good!

So my couple of questions are..
    1. How long should I leave the nutrients in the bucket for feeding, and how often?
    2. Which is the best grow medium for this setup? I was thinking possibly clay pellets or rockwool? I'd want something that retains a bit of moisture, since I'm not going to be feeding them all the time, probably just when I can. So, rockwool?
    3. Are there any glaring problems I've missed?

Thanks alot for any replies!! :D

2. I'm not sure where you heard this "supercharged" theory but as far as I'm concerned its pretty off-base. The roots of your plant need to be submerged in the nutrient solution/water continuously.

They'll drink a consider amount and you need to continually add-back nutrient solution (adjusted to match buckets ppm) as they drink. Flushing every 2 weeks is recommended by some and thats when your funnel/drain would come into play, at the very least you'd use it to flush before flowering and before harvest.

3. Here's a simple DIY guide that would accomplish what your looking for. This one uses pumps but its fairly easy, easier than you'd think, to setup and install.

http://bit.ly/9Wm9U

4. Thanks for the advice and link dude I'll check it out.

I heard the "supercharged" theory in the article in High Times magazine. It said that, leaves need C02 but roots need O2, and so some growers have a system where the grow medium is continually sprayed with nutrients but the roots are left there to dangle and soak up oxygen.

Yeah I thought the funnel valve would be really useful for easy flushing. So could I just close the valve while feeding and leave the nutrient solution in there, and just keep topping it up?

How often do you think I'd need to top it up? I've really got no idea how fast the plants uptake nutes and water.

5. #5 Ganja Ganja, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009

You are absolutely right, this method is called Aeroponic gardening. But the key here is that the roots are CONSTANTLY sprayed with nutrient solution while they are dangling in mid air.

There is no flush and wait, the roots need constant attention... hence the added difficulty/problems in aeroponics. It can be a very effective growing technique if done properly and properly looked after.

The valve would remained closed for the majority of the time. You would only use the drain to change your nutrient solution, which you should do when the roots have drank all the nutrients in the bucket.

My DWC's need to be topped off every day, they drink as much as an inch or two (in water level terms) a day. Thats with a 400w HPS and no added CO2, every setup will be different.

6. Oh, right, yeah that makes sense. So, would feeding them constantly, and then, say, while I'm changing the nutrient solution, leaving them to soak up oxygen for 20 minutes... I wonder if that would have any effect at all? Or would it be largely pointless? This shit is insanely interesting, haha.

How do you tell when the nutrients have all been absorbed? I assumed they just look like water...

+rep for the help btw, I really appreciate it

7. This is a little out of my league.. I'm pretty sure you'd be stressing the plant which would slow/stunt growth. If you really wanna know the answer it'd be appropriate for another thread.

No problem, just helpin a brother out. It depends on your hydro setup and the feeding method you use. I use the LUCAS formula, and I add-back with pH'd RO water every day (no nutrients)... once I have added back the total amount of the reservoir in plain RO water, I change the nutrients (that or 14 days whichever comes first).

8. What? Sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel. Why not just use an ebb and flow system rather than doing all that? Isn't that basically what you're trying to build? You flood the bucket, just from the top, which displaces the used oxygen in the root zone. Then you drain it back to a reservoir which brings new air to the roots. And why are 2 reservoirs needed? Why not just have your drain pipes lead back to 1 res? What are the advantages of this? I guess I should read the article.