Super Soil " No Nutes for 90 days"?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Teddyburr, Feb 6, 2009.

1. I just got some super soil and I'm starting my first grow. But on the back it says no plant food is needed for 90 days? I hear nutes are generally needed 3 weeks into growing? Any of you guys got an answer for me?

2. Look over the package carefully, and keep your eyes out for time released ferts. You want to try to avoid soils with time released nutes in them. If it's your only option, try and flush the soil as well as you can before planting.

This reminded me of an article in March '09 High Times. A guy describes the soil mix he uses for his plants, and says he doesn't have to worry about pH and never adds nutes throughout the plants life. He even went on to say that he could put a clone in this soil, give it to a patient, and they could simply add water as needed and they'd be able to pull in a nice harvest.

If I remember correctly, it basically came down to having something like FFOF with extra worm casing, bat guano, and perhaps a few other things as the bottom layer in a bucket. For the majority, he used a mix of potting soil and perlite? I can't remember, maybe someone else can shed some (more accurate) light on this.

3. I'm sure that what it's saying is that you don't have to add ferts....because they are already mixed into the soil. Bad.

4. it says
    super soil no fertilizing required for up to 90 days
    this what it says on the bottom right corner of bag

Super POtting Soil 0.14 - 0.09 - 0.02
    Guarnteed Analysis F1535

Total Nitrogen- 0.14%
    0.01% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    0.02% Nitrate Nitrogen
    0.01% Urea Nitrogen
    0.10% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
    Avaiable Phostate (P205) - 0.09%
    Soluble Phostate (K20) - 0.02%
    Iron (Fe) - 0.025%
    0.25% water soluble Iron (Fe)

I know little to nothing about soil. I saw it sitting next to the Miracle Grow but I heard MG wasnt that good so I went with the other brand Super Soil.

I dont see anything on the bag about time released fertilizer.

I'm lost!

So should I like Put the soil in there pots and "flush it out" somehow? If so How do I flush out?

And another small question. Should the soil be moist before I plant the seeds?

5. You are quoting NPK numbers, that's a berakdown of nutrients. So yes, that soil has ferts and I would recommend against using it.

Yes, the soil should be moist for planting. Fine to plant in dry and then gently water.

6. So what should I do? Take it back? Or is there some kind of solution I can do at home?

If I do take it back, what should I look for?

7. if u dont have access to a grow shop that carries fox farm ocean forest, then id take it back & get MG organic potting mix & a bag perlite, & mix in 25% perlite to soil. the ,mg soil is a little acidic, so use a high watering ph of around 7.3

8. #8 Teddyburr, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
    What do you mean by using a high watering ph?

EDIT: Oh you mean I should use purified water to get the PH balanced cause the mg acidic soil lower the ph?

Thanks

9. just use tap water ph'd to like 7.3, youll need a ph tester to test ph, & is a must if u want to grow good buds

10. Teddyburr, if you don't know what pH is then you need to do a lot more reading before you start to grow. Check the grow guides and sticky posts for lots of good info.

11. I know exactly what PH is. Its just that how he worded that statement confused me

12. Just a quick note. Marijuana will grow in just about any soil(it is a WEED afterall) , but the better the soil the better the outcome. Though I have moved on to better quality soil I have grown some dank bud over the years in, yep you guessed it, Miracle Grow. If you have a ph tester, test the runoff after you water the soil. That will tell you what the soil is doing to the ph of your water. If you're just using bagseed, throw in a few and give it a shot. If you are using seed that you spent good money on, germinate before you plant and only plant 1 or 2 in your new super soil and see how they do. It may work out great and I just may have to buy some myself, but if you start having deficiencies and/or toxicities to the point that it stunts the growth of your plants, it's almost guaranteed to get worse in the flowering stage. Good luck. and let us know how it works out.

13. I agree. I think that the latitude is more important than the soil. I bet pot would grow much easier outdoors in clay soil in Equador than in FFOG in Alaska.
    Humidity factors in well too. I live in the semi-arid desert climate of Southern California. The sunshine and humidity levels are almost perfect for growing pot.