Advice, Costs of a setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by darkyetnotso, Oct 24, 2008.

1. So i am considering doing a grow sometime in the future and I thought I'd ask here about your experiences with grown MJ. Before you say: "do a search", I tried looking for something like this but couldn't find anything concrete, so if you have some threads bookmarked that can answer this question, please post those up.

Here's the two things i'm trying to find out:

1)What will be the cost to get started growing in a house. I'm thinking about a basement sized grow, 300-700 square feet of growing space, maybe use a Volksgarden or something else like that to have a very efficient use of water and electricity. If I wanted to do a soil grow or a custom hydro setup, what would be the costs for all that initial equipment, just to get started growing?

2)What are your costs of production(in the business world usually called COGS-cost of goods sold, which means like how much it costs you per certain amount)?
    I'm not talking about the setup costs like buying all the growing equipment, I'm talking about cost per pound or Oz after everything is setup.
    So if you set up a grow that yielded 5 pounds every few months, what would it cost for electricity, water, nutes and anything that will need to be constantly replaced?

disclaimer: This is for curiosity, I am not intending on doing this EVER:D

Thanks a bunch

2. Are you seriously considering spending $2,000 on that thing, and you still have to buy lights?
    Check out the "Grow room and design" sections, and the "read before posting" stickies for good info. You should see some threads with HID in the title, this will help as well.

3. I have always wanted to try one of those. Seems to be a great use of space. But, I would think you could buld one for way less than $2,000.

Unless you plan to make a profit from your grow, I wouldn't even bother. Just stick to a traditional grow setup. Especially if you are new to growing.

4. here is the equiv of a few thousand words

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. #6 bogie420, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    I built this box and bought everything needed, lights, nutes, ect. everything needed to grow for less than 300 bucks. I am getting rdy to start my first grow in it.:smoke: Wish me luck !!!!!!!!

Oh Yea, I also built the aeroponic unit myself for less than 40 bucks. There are pictures of my grow box at the beginning and at the end of the thread I have posted below.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/341284-new-grower-budget.html

6. did you keep track of the time it took you to do that, or do you consider your time of no value?

7. This took me 6 hours to do all you see in the pics. Six hours that I would normally spend online reading these forums or playing the games that I play. So when you add my "Time Value" to the total your still going to come in at least a grand cheaper than the device he has linked to in his post.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-...er-budget.html

8. 1) Too many variables and too many ways of doing it to give you a cost to get started. You will need a boatload of lights and ventilation, that's for sure.

2) Again, we can't calculate from here because too many variables that are in your control. Just add up the wattage of the devices you will be running, accounting for how many hours per day each will run, divide that by 1000 to convert it to kilowatt hours, multiply that by 30 to get an estimate of electricity usage per month, then multiply that by your rate per kilowatt hour.

Your biggest concern should be the risk you take of getting caught by running an op that big. The average home in the USA uses about 750 kilowatt hours per month, if you run 20 1kw HID lights for 18 hours a day that's nearly 15 times the average usage, before you get to power consumption for ventilation or that cool merry-go-round thing you're interested in. That kind of usage could very easily attract attention.

9. new growers and thier big plans....

10. #11 cantharis, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009

If I am doing something for my own enjoyment or benefit, I certainly consider the time spent as having huge value - but it has no COST. Not the same thing.