3 gallon pots too small???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mo--, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Hey all,

So been flowering for a week now and I am getting a little worried that my babies don't have any more room to grow. I have them in three gallon pots (round). I used crappy soil so I flipped em upside down the other day to get some moisture out and saw that the root system was all the way on the bottom already. I've also read on other posts that OG Kush (Yes!) needs at least a 5 gallon buckets cause they get meaty. Is this true? I know the general rule is 1/2 gallons per foot of growth per plant. I am satisfied with 6 feet of growth (at about 2 right now), so do you think i need to move em into bigger pots?

Also, if so do you think i could just add some perlite at the bottom of the 3 gallon pot and this will fix any problems? Can roots grow thru perlite?

Thanks in advance.

2. I've always heard that it's 1 gallon of space per 1 foot of growth, but I could be wrong??? :confused_2:

If you move them into 5 gallon pots, you'll be a lot happier with how much your plants produce, but I can't say for sure whether you should move them into bigger pots or not... I know of many people who grow their plants successfully in 3 gallon pots, so I don't see any reason why your's won't work...

And to answer your final question, yes, roots will grow through perilite.

3. Thanks for advice

Well in there 3 gallon pots most of my girls roots are not pushing thru but on a few they are (OG) so I think I'm gonna transplant those that are into 5 gallons and hope for the best! Its okay to transplant during flowering correct??? Yikes I am a noob.

4. I would definitely think about a transplant if you want to yield more, but if thats not a concern, three gal. pots will be ok. I have had problems in 3's though, sometimes they will get root bound in the last stages of flowering if they are doing well, and by then its too late to transplant.

5. If you do transplant, then do it for all of them. The one's that aren't rootbound yet will get that way. Also, seeing as how you're in flowering, you'll wanna do that ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that you're gonna hurt your plants when you repot.

6. True Dat!

7. Even the ones that are smaller on average? If they do get that way, how does anyone grow a good yielding crop without using at least 5 gallons??? Just a thought... I guess its some inexact science.

Does the root system grow horozontilly after it has no more room to grow down? Ugh.

8. Id transplant into 5 gallon pots; id also change up your soil. Soil is a crutical component in the growning process. Soil and LIGHT and watering control the size and yield of your plants

9. Rootbound?.....do you really belive that a 2 foot tall MJ plant is rootbound in a 3 gallon pot?
    I ask this bcuz I flower ,rejuvinate,flower ,rejuv. and flower a third time in 16 oz's of potting mix and have for years sometimes with 1Ltr,2Ltr,and 1 gallon pots....never had a problem.

My mothers are 2 and 3.5 years old in the same pot and same soil ....1 gal
    Maybe the problem is elseware...Overwatering maybe?