forced early harvest. what to do?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by siawol, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ok so, i started a bag seed grow back in early february (approx. 12 weeks total, 7 flowering) heres the details on that
    (updates to grow setup include (2) 26w clamp lights and (1) 20w desk halogen.... just found it lying around and figured it couldn't hurt. my plant grew very tall due to the fact that i am a noob grower and had a 250w halogen lighting it from a few feet above all through vegging. she wanted to get closer to the "sun" apparently.

now due to recent developments i am moving out of my place about 2 weeks earlier than expected. my baby is starting to really fatten up and i am sure another 3 weeks would be ideal. however i have to leave in 1 week. now i have heard and read many things on growing and harvesting and such but i am a little confused on the uses of an early harvest. i know the buds could be smoked after being carefully cured for a few weeks to a month.. they might not produce a delightful high though. can i make hash out of the entire plant? is that an option or will it turn out gnarly? should i let the plant grow until the last possible second or cut it a few days early and let it hang upsidedown? this sucks i want to see my baby really mature.

any input or other options would be appreciated. peace

Attached Files:

2. check the trich's..from here they look kinda cloudy which means that plant will give you a "pleasant, energetic, laughing high" bcuz it has a high THC content right now...if you were to let her go the full 10 weeks you would have more so a narcotic effect, like ur drunk and really tired bcuz the THC breaks down the longer the plant is left alive....

the plant will probably still get U pretty ripped with a proper dry and cure. the dry will makes some of the water evaporate increasing the potency of the bud and allowing a smoother smoke, while the cure will bring out the flavor and aroma of the buds. The good thing is that since U grew with poor lighting the buds are less dense and fluffy so it will only take about 3-4 days for the buds to dry...remember:if the stem snaps its too dry!

and if anything i'd use the trimmings as hash, not the buds.
    thats just my 2cents tho

3. You're right about cloudy Trichs giving you a narcotic high but it's not 'because it has a high thc content right now', trichromes usually turn a cloudy colour when theyre about 50% through the budding stage, and no, if you left the plant to bud for 10 weeks it wouldnt give you a couchlock high because the THC would have broken down as the days go past...you've got it all muddled up mate, but you're on the right track.

Clear trichromes are no where near to harvest. THC has only started to produce and is no where near its peak.
    Cloudy trichromes are smokable, but the high in most cases is a more uppy than 'stoned', so let the plant finish it's cycle.
    Amber trichromes mean your plant is ready to be harvested, the THC is at its peak when about 80% of your trichs are an amber colour
    Brown/Red trichromes mean your plant has passed it's peak and its quickly degrading day by day, lowering its THC content so make sure you check them quickly.

For checking your trichromes you'll need a powerful lense, a 40x will do. People often mistake the STIGMAS for the calyxes, and often mistake pollinated stigmas for amber trichromes and harvest waaay too early.

7 weeks of flowerign have passed, you say? This is ideal. You're lucky, you can harvest the day before you move in 1 week, making a total of 8 weeks flowering. This is the average amount of length for plants during budding. You will most likely get a mixed light and heavy body high from it.

4. sorry, but you mis-read what I had typed, and you are mistaken.

I didnt even mention clear trich's in my last post, so I dunno what thats about.. and I never said cloudy trichs give you a narcotic high, I said it gives you a "heady, energetic, laughing high" and if he was to allow the plants to go on to week 10, the THC would start breaking down into CBD/CBN

like I said, when the majority of your trich's are cloudy, that means they have become swollen with THC and are at their peak..when they turn amber that means the THC has broken down into CBD and CBN which will produce the couchlock syndrome

this picture should help better explain my point.

you can find this info on pretty much ever GrowFAQ on the net.

[​IMG]

5. but you were correct in saying that brown/red trich's means you are harvesting too late
    [​IMG]

6. I like the picture you attached, it'll help alot of people...

You're right about the narcotic high, in my vocabulary it meant an uppy high (like you mentioned from cloudy trichs) obviously it meant couch lock, but i meant well, lol.

But about the clear trichs i mentioned, i wasn't directing that at you. I was trying to help the threadstarter, and anyone who may not know about these specific things who read the thread.

The second picture is also a really good find

7. sweet thanks for the help guys. i just went out and got a 60-100x microscope for $10 at radioshack. i cut off a little leaf close to a bud and one of the calyx things to examine. from what i can tell it looks like for the most part they look clear but there are def some cloudy ones in the mix. should i flush my plants of the nuts or just let them be until harvest? i have read that you should flush a week or so before harvest but since i am forced to harvest early is this necessary?

this might be a stupid question but after they are harvested and curing, can the trichs continue to get cloudy/amber? or does that only happen while they are living? also, on my plant it seems that the buds towards the middle section of the plant look more mature than the buds at the top? kinda strange maybe its because its almost 5ft tall...

8. People usually flush about 1-2 weeks before harvest to get rid of any 'fertiliser' taste in the weed but i personally couldnt care less lol but thats just me. My NorthernBerry plants are ready to harvest...YES....TODAY IM HARVESTING YAYYYY:smoking: and i didnt bother to flush the plant, i gave it fertiliser 1 1/2 weeks before today - basically because im selling and i dont smoke weed anymore, but as for you i guess its a matter of personal preference....whether you want a wee bit more bud from fertiliser, or a 'apparent' (ive never actually tried this so i dont know from experience, but it makes sense) smoother smoke.

5ft tall lol nice one dude, my northernberrys only 4ft :p but anyway, I think that question depends on the strain but weed usually cures to a different colour, maybe a lighter/darker green, red/brown or purple/lavender etc. I guess youll just have to wait and see (the fun but impatient part) :D

I'm not sure why the middle buds look more mature than your main cola

9. yo man i really wanna see watcha got when those are done, plz post pics when u have chopped it down...and is it ok to grow with those lights????? is that why its so droopy?

10. There's loads of people sayin their bit mate, but its all down to genetics, most sativa's have a longer flowering period than indica's, and both give different kinds of high. sativa is a euphoric, happy head high. and indica is a narcotic, stoned body high. so it depends on your strain mate, if you got sativa girls, then an early harvest will most likely give you that euphoric, uppity, buzzy head high, whereas if you got indicas, and harvest early, you'll prob end up with a combo of both. but people dont realize that sativa's "peak window" can close, then open again in the next coming week! check this guide and this will stand you in good stead.

Marijuana Grow Guide - Harvesting Marijuana

BTW. I would suggest waiting as long as you can, as regardless of high you want, you want your THC levels to be optimum to your circumstances. And i wouldnt waste it on making hash, you ll prob find that with a good dry, and a 30 day cure. you ll end up with some nice weed still.

11. DUDE. OUIT resurrecting 5 year old threads! What was your point? The original poster asked this question in April of 2007! I don't think they care what anyone has to say anymore. :rolleyes:

12. err might be an old thread, but came out top search in google so still a relevant topic for current growers, like me for 1 and hoped for positive reply not a fool..and cant post a new thread so thank you for your 1 cents worth......!

• Like Like x 1