Cloning a clone

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Zeitgeist, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, I know this may be a stupid question but..

Is it possible to clone a clone? Like would it be possible to buy one clone, grow it a little bit and keep it in vegging. And then cloning a lot off that?

-thanks

2. short answer = yes.

I'm on my 6th generation from the original seed. I never had any room for mother plants, but I hope to make some room for a mother in the future. This prepetual cycle seems to work fine. I just veg the clone for about a month after it roots. Before I flip from vegging to flowering I take a few clones, root them, and start the cycle over again.

3. To reiterate what the person above me said, yes. It is theretically possible to continue cloning from clones forever. The only problem with continuing to do this is that if the genetics of the plants are unstable, you could still end up with clones that are not as good as the plant they were cloned from. The say your original plant, we'll call it P-1, has been cloned 10 time (P-10), your clone P-10 may be nothing like your original plant. Environmental controls and different nutrients may alter its genetics. Also, when you grow a mother plant, it causes less stress to the plant your are cloning from when clones are taken. When taking clones from a plant late in its vegetation period, it can cause stress in the flowering period, reducing the amount of your harvest. In short- try to find room for a mother plant.

4. Eh, I had a little trouble understanding that. My plan is to buy a clone of an original mother grown from a seed, and then make that original clone into a mother plant, and clone others for my growing. Does that sound ok? Or would the genetics be too screwed up in a clone of an original clone?

5. look at it like you would a car key, you can have a copy of a copy of a copy and so forth, but the machine isnt perfect and eventually down the line the keys will stop working

a clone of a clone should still be prefectly stable, i would just keep it at that and have a mother like you said

6. Heard this millions of times, and i am sorry to say i have been cloning from clone for EYONS now and from my experience each cloned plant is better or equal too the plant it came from.

7. Thanks Dier :)

Now that I have all that settled, I was wondering about what lights I should purchase. I am planning on making a 2.25'x2.25' scrog grow using a 250W HPS or MH light. I also have yet to figure out what light I should buy for a single mother plant. I'm thinking for the main scrog grow I could get http://www.insidesun.com/index.php?action=item&id=8&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=12 and then get an MH conversion bulb for vegging. Unfortuantely, they don't sell 250W conversion bulbs. What is everyone's opnion on this? Should I get the 250w hps and find an MH conversion bulb somewhere else? Or should I get a 250w MH and get an hps conversion bulb? Or would it be better to just use plain MH or HPS throughout the whole grow? What should I do?

Just to give some backup info, I'm planning on cloning 4 plants from the motherplant for the scrog grow, and vegging enough to fill up most of the screen.

Also, what light should I get for the main mother plant?

-thank you! :)

8. my opinion more light = more yeild especially in SGROG.

My other opinion is once you grow this under 250w you will want to grow it much better next time with more light so why buy small first??

Suggest you spend the extra 60 bucks and get a complete system thats Metal Halide and HPS Switchable and not messing around with conversion bulbs.

Here is a link to a switchable 400w Mh/HPS with bulbs/good reflector and ballast for $165 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-watt-SWITCH...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

9. oh,

use mh for veg (its much better than hps when growing) and use the hps for flowering.

for the mother, get some cheapy 70-100 watt mh security lights at your home depot, 2 should do just fine

10. That sounds good.

What size scrog growing area would best suit a 400w growing light?

Also should I just use some cheap floros for the single mother plant?

-Thanks

11. Get enough of them and it should be fine.

Get a mix of daylight and warm white for dual specturm.

you can do a 3ft x 2ft scrog with the 400watt nicely.

12. Awesome, thanks a lot! :)

I'll post pics of my grow when I start in 2 weeks or so

Merry Christmas

13. Why not? I understand all clones are genetically identical.

14. It takes like a thousand generations before a clone drifts enough to notice the difference. Alot of people read stuff, but dont know if it is true in actual growing. I have a plant, that has been grown before me for years and years. It is at least 15 years old, and is not showing anything differences, from at least when I first saw it. Also I have seen breeders that have had plants for 20 years or more.

15. I understand everyone will have different experiences/opinions. Everyone will answer you to the best of his or her knowledge. I try my best to relay information I have gotten from so-called experts. Anyways, I was only trying to help.

16. I can only say what I have done, and I have seen friends clone plants has to be literally maybe 50 generations, and there was no drift. It can and will happen probably eventually, but you will die from old age first.

17. Zomg! Star Wars: The Clone War

18. as dw said get a switchable system.. but i want to warn you that i bought this one that is linked below awhile back and i was under the impression that it was switchable ballast and in reality its a regular HPS ballast with a MH conversion bulb bit of trickery with the wording. I am happy with my setup but a little more cautious now... since it says switchable but its not really. just read carefully.