Questions on learning to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jjaniszewski, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a few questions on learning to grow. I am a college student and was curious if any of you grass city members happened to major on anything having to do with the production of marijuana and/or other plants. There has to be courses in college that could enhance your knowledge on growing conditions, nutrients, and other parts of growing and cultivating plants. Thanks for the help and keep on rolling Stoners.

2. You don't need to major in anything to learn about something. All of the knowledge in this world is on the internet. I've learned to grow by watching videos on youtube and lurking the grass city forums :), what they teach you college can be found on the internet :)

3. yep.  You can go to collage and have one person teach you how to grow plants or you can come to the school of grass city and have hundreds of people teach you about growing plants.

4. [quote name="jjaniszewski" post="19213709" timestamp="1387768600"]I have a few questions on learning to grow. I am a college student and was curious if any of you grass city members happened to major on anything having to do with the production of marijuana and/or other plants. There has to be courses in college that could enhance your knowledge on growing conditions, nutrients, and other parts of growing and cultivating plants. Thanks for the help and keep on rolling Stoners.[/quote] do a search here and read anything you see by lumperdawg. he not only tells you how to do stuff he gets into the why of it and how it actually works.Mjhttp://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1137343-1k-pipe-cleaner-LST-grow1k pipe cleaner LST grow

5. Been growing for several years with a lot of harvests behind my belt.
    The only places I learned is the forums.
    They all different with different styles.
    The ones that dedicate to growing tend to be more in depth and advanced. Forums like grass city are good but mostly good for new, small quantities growers :)
    Good luck

6. Cannabis is an extremely unique plant. Of course a degree in soil biology/ microbial biology would help IF you grow in soil. But even then, most college degrees domt encompass the perfect conditions for cannabis. You do realize that college doesn't make you successful at.... anything right?Being successful in anything is about self motivation aand determination. Some of the dumbest sons of bitches i know are in college, while on the other hand, a kid i graduated with who got a perfect score on the ACT is "just".... growing pot. You will learn from observation but mainly experience when it comes to growing, Because everyone grows differently.who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

7. It's not even a matter of where else you can learn about growing -- a college education is a huge investment in your future, don't squander that by taking classes to learn to grow MJ. You could always forego growing completely and just buy your weed with the money you'll make off a good career that you could set yourself up for with a college education.

Use college to position yourself for a career and the best life you can.

8. [quote name="toastybiz" post="19227341" timestamp="1387982199"]It's not even a matter of where else you can learn about growing -- a college education is a huge investment in your future, don't squander that by taking classes to learn to grow MJ. You could always forego growing completely and just buy your weed with the money you'll make off a good career that you could set yourself up for with a college education.Use college to position yourself for a career and the best life you can.[/quote]Some of us do just love to grow.I can't help it... green runs in my dutch blood. But yes, i agree, go to school for something useful unless you plan on going for more than one degree(Like me)who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

9. It's cannabis, not cocaine.  It's not THAT profitable.  

10. #10 Emma & Dave, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
    [quote name="HighOnTheHill" post="19227382" timestamp="1387983430"]It's cannabis, not cocaine. It's not THAT profitable. [/quote]Not everything in life needs to be about money though :)Cannabis takes 60 days to crop out and its 1/4 the price of gold. Its really fucking profitable.Its not like im trying to make millions... im just trying to live comfortably. Not sure what you're growin... but my trees allow me to live the life i want. who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

11. [quote name="Emma & Dave" post="19227398" timestamp="1387983907"]Not everything in life needs to be about money though :)Cannabis takes 60 days to crop out and its 1/4 the price of gold. Its really fucking profitable.Its not like im trying to make millions... im just trying to live comfortably. Not sure what you're growin... but my trees allow me to live the life i want. who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.[/quote] This might be bad to ask but how much do you usually make? I realy am quite curious about this. I've a least wanted to grow but I don't want to live in some shirty apartment my whole life.

12. I was just trying to imply that you could quite possibly make more money in a legitimate college-degree career.  

Obviously there is a profit margin for cannabis, but it turns into a full-time job (not fun, at all) really quickly as the size of your grow gets larger.  I used to run a 26kw basement grow, only did that for a couple of years before downsizing to 8kw.   I've since downsized quite a bit more and am currently only running 800w flower and harvest about 1 lb every 5 weeks.  

As far as going to school to learn to grow.  To each their own.  Horticulture, botany, soils, plant nursery management, there are a few things related to plants in there.  I'm sure you'd learn something that's useful for cannabis cultivation, and if that's really where your desires are, you'll have a career in a related field! 

13. [quote name="The Fat Kid" post="19227426" timestamp="1387984839"]This might be bad to ask but how much do you usually make? I realy am quite curious about this. I've a least wanted to grow but I don't want to live in some shirty apartment my whole life.[/quote]At the moment we don't really make that much, maybe 600 a month specifically coming from cannabis alone. But keep in mind, i never have more than 12 plants, so its a very small operation.And most goes towards my girlfriend and i honestly.Im also a massage therapist i training, so cannabis isn't my only source of income, but its a huge supplement. You will not get rich off pot.But if you love growingKnow what you're doingand have a passion for it, its "EASY" to bring in 60,000 a year. My old dealer works 15 hours a week and grows 15 plants, chops 3 a month. And is able to afford 3 children, a stay at home wife and a 2600 square foot house in a pretty nice development. Its proof that it can be done, just has to be optimal circumstances you know?Dont ever let someone tell you that you can't do something.... it just means they don't feel they're capable of doing it themselves. who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

14. [quote name="HighOnTheHill" post="19227437" timestamp="1387984996"]I was just trying to imply that you could quite possibly make more money in a legitimate college-degree career. Obviously there is a profit margin for cannabis, but it turns into a full-time job (not fun, at all) really quickly as the size of your grow gets larger. I used to run a 26kw basement grow, only did that for a couple of years before downsizing to 8kw. I've since downsized quite a bit more and am currently only running 800w flower and harvest about 1 lb every 5 weeks. As far as going to school to learn to grow. To each their own. Horticulture, botany, soils, plant nursery management, there are a few things related to plants in there. I'm sure you'd learn something that's useful for cannabis cultivation, and if that's really where your desires are, you'll have a career in a related field! [/quote]I would looove to be a full time grower, but that's only my personality, my girlfriend says i think about the plants more than her.... im not saying shes right....But... yeah.... its a close call! :pwho ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

15. [quote name="Emma & Dave" post="19227446" timestamp="1387985333"]At the moment we don't really make that much, maybe 600 a month specifically coming from cannabis alone. But keep in mind, i never have more than 12 plants, so its a very small operation.And most goes towards my girlfriend and i honestly.Im also a massage therapist i training, so cannabis isn't my only source of income, but its a huge supplement. You will not get rich off pot.But if you love growingKnow what you're doingand have a passion for it, its "EASY" to bring in 60,000 a year. My old dealer works 15 hours a week and grows 15 plants, chops 3 a month. And is able to afford 3 children, a stay at home wife and a 2600 square foot house in a pretty nice development. Its proof that it can be done, just has to be optimal circumstances you know?Dont ever let someone tell you that you can't do something.... it just means they don't feel they're capable of doing it themselves. who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.[/quote] Thanks man! And also this mite be a stupid question but where do you grow? Do you have like another building or your yard or just in your house? Sorry I'm just realy curious. And wouldn't the electric bill be pretty high?

16. [quote name="The Fat Kid" post="19227538" timestamp="1387987100"]Thanks man! And also this mite be a stupid question but where do you grow? Do you have like another building or your yard or just in your house? Sorry I'm just realy curious. And wouldn't the electric bill be pretty high?[/quote]I grow in a tent in my bedroom :) The tent pulls approx $30 in total electric cost a month. But i do full led grows, so its a whole different game than your hid growers. I just have a 4x4 tent for flower and 4x2 tents for veg and propagation.Next year im renting a 3 bedroom with my lady and we are going to use an entire 12x6 space for flowering and another room for veg. By the way, im not some spoiled kid who's parents pay for everything. Im 22 years old and paying for college with loans. So im a pretty "real" person if i do say so myself. Life will never be easy man, just find a path thats worth the troubles... thats alllll you can hope for.who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

17. [quote name="Emma & Dave" post="19227568" timestamp="1387987555"]I grow in a tent in my bedroom :) The tent pulls approx $30 in total electric cost a month. But i do full led grows, so its a whole different game than your hid growers. I just have a 4x4 tent for flower and 4x2 tents for veg and propagation.Next year im renting a 3 bedroom with my lady and we are going to use an entire 12x6 space for flowering and another room for veg. By the way, im not some spoiled kid who's parents pay for everything. Im 22 years old and paying for college with loans. So im a pretty "real" person if i do say so myself. Life will never be easy man, just find a path thats worth the troubles... thats alllll you can hope for.who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.[/quote]Thankd man! And also who do you sell it too? Or how do you get the money from your herbs? Do you sell to like a dispensery?

18. Im waiting for the fat kid to ask what emma@[member="Dave"] address is

19. Hey folks, no discussion of selling, that's against forum rules...

20. [quote name="The Fat Kid" post="19228734" timestamp="1388005237"]Thankd man! And also who do you sell it too? Or how do you get the money from your herbs? Do you sell to like a dispensery?[/quote]I live in michigan, i can legally give out bud to anybody with a card as long as its referred to as a donation.
    Haha what makes you say that?
    Fuck that shit, if its legal for me to sell i sure as hell can talk about it.My bad if i don't refer to it as a donation....who ever said "money doesn't grow on trees" is a fucking idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.