HELP! did i just waste 70$ on lights?!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by benistoned, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I bought 2 150w hps floodlights on ebay for 70$ and they came in today. To my dismay, the floodlights just have 3 wires coming out of them instead of the standard power cord I expected. There is a copper one, black one, and white one. I don't know how to install this. Is there something I can hook it up to? I really need help cause damn I dont want to have to put it on ebay again.

http://www.elights.com/bashidflood3.html

those are the floodlights i got.

2. Dude its a standard grouded power cord. The white is your hot wire. Black is your neutral. The all copper one without insulation is your ground wire. Are you gonna be plugging these into the wall or what. Give me some more info on how you gonna supply power to them lights and i will draw a pic on how to hook wire it up.

3. I would like to be plugging them into the wall. would a standard power outlet work? would i be able to wire them to an extention cord somehow? I don't really know much about electrical stuff at all.

4. If you have any friends with experience in electronics they should be able to rig up a portable system for you. There's a lot of information on the internet but if you don't feel confident wiring it yourself I wouldn't reccomend it.

5. go to your local hardware store with the light and tell them you need a grounded wire and help on how to attach it... they will be more than willing to help you out!

6. I agree Putting a power cord on anything is not a hard process i could do it when i was 8 after i was shown. You could also go to lowes or home depot too. Any of those places would be willing to show you how to do it.

7. i wouldnt reccomend that just because thats a lot of power and they will be on alot
    very high chance for fire
    but also, its wont work cause you need a ballast, which is a source of power for them. go buy one, dont fiddle with making one.

8. I think it says on the site that these flood lights already have the balllasts in them already. I just need to wire them or something.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...floodlight-ext-cord.html?highlight=floodlight

this guy conectected it to a extention cord. Can I do that?

9. yeah get a 12 gauge extension cord and cut the female end off of it and then just connect same color wires together. make sure to use wire nuts or some other kind of wire connectors. then wrap in black electrical tape. I will post a picture in a minute of what i am talking about.
    AND BIGTEE. Most indoor grow lights or HPS lights that you buy for your home us a 120v lead. A light zap is all it will give you. If it is not wired correctly it will trip breaker or the light will not even come on. To start a fire the breaker has to fail and pull more amps than the internal wiring will handle. As long as you dont exceed ampers and use the right size cord your fine. and its not like he is gonna have the cord plugged into the wall when he is putting it all together.

10. It's quite easy to wire, but don't take the risk of wiring it yourself if you are not confident (which it dosen't seem that way). I would take your lights to a hardware store like suggested above, or you could have a cord professionally attatched to both of them at a small appliance shop. Wouldn't be more than 20 bux.

11. thanks, ill try that. Since I have 2 flood lights, Will I need 2 extension cords?

Ill see how that works out or ill use take it to homedepot or lowes or something...

12. ok to make it easy go to homedepot and get this item Coleman Cable
    3 Ft. Black 16/3 Disposer Pigtail and a pack of wire nuts and a role of electricle tape ok now to wire it the black wire goes to the black on your light white to white the green wire on the cord goes to the bare copper wire on your light. wire nut them then tape real good and test it out the cord looks like this [​IMG]:wave:

13. your right, my bad didnt read it all.

then ya, it should be easy to attach it, but still, i would advise buying some good electric tape and being 1000X careful cause those are powerful and it there on 12-18 hours a day you could easily have a fire.

14. Yes you will need two cords the cord djdew posted is good but you might want something a little longer. Better safe than sorry. It is real easy to do. Just make sure you dont have any bare wires hanging out. and connect the way djdew told you to put the wires together.

15. go to home depot, know how long you want the cord, they will show you the wire nuts you will need for a good secure connection, shit they might even do it for you after you purchase the items!

16. To your original question -- did you waste $70 on lights -- the answer I think lies somewhere other than the power cord.

You said that ballast is built into the hood? If so then you might run into heat problems. What is your grow space and ventilation like?

17. okay so i have done it. I got some wire nuts and rigged it on. Now its sitting shing HPS light on my plants! :hello: with the homedepot cord and some wire nuts, i've got the damn thang working. now time for my plants for flourish!

thanks for the help guys

oh and its currently 86 degress with 26 humidity right by the plant. I leave the door open so the rooms air can ventilate inside. I also got a fan working by the hps lights. At night I think it gets around 80 degress in the room.

18. heres the current setup with the new lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. you should try and hang the lights above the plants thare going to grow tords the lights your almost wasting power the way they are now

20. LOL why in the world do people freak out when they see wires LOL.

Naturally you didnt expect a flood light to come pre-wired to plug directly into a wall outlet.